Tips for growing Camellias
- Choose plants rated for at least a half zone colder than your zone.
- Plant in partial shade near buildings or in other sheltered locations with shelter from hot afternoon sun.
- Mulch thoroughly to keep roots cool and the soil moist.
- Regular watering is critical during the first year or two. Thereafter, established camellias with deep roots are remrkably drought tolerant.
- Protect them from strong winds particularly in winter.
- Fertilize only lighty, if at all and never after June.